1. Colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy can detect abnormal colon growths (polyps) that can be removed before they develop into cancer.
2. Low-dose helical computed tomography - Heavy smokers from ages 55 to 74 should get this test for lung cancer screening.
3. Mammography - Women should get it done regularly starting at the age of 40 to 45 years, for early detection of breast cancer.
4. Pap test and Human Papillomavirus (HPV) testing for cervical cancer - detects abnormal cells and get treated before they become cancer.
5. Alpha-Fetoprotein blood test and ultrasound of the liver - people with high risk of liver cancer should get these tests regularly.
6. PSA Test - This blood test is able to detect prostate cancer at an early stage.