In the past, doctors used to suggest people being treated for chronic illness to reduce their physical activities. But as per the new researches cancer patients can do physical exercises during their treatment plan as it improves how their body functions. However, it is still suggested not to do rigorous workouts if the body movement causes pain.
Here we share 21 amazing and inspiring stories of cancer survivors who share their love for fitness and how staying physically active helped them in their journey.
1. Lu was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2013. She has successfully defeated her disease and is now a fitness enthusiast and a runner.
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” -Hunter S. Thompson
2. Jimmy M was diagnosed with brain cancer in May 2014. He has successfully defeated his disease. He is a fitness enthusiast and a traveller.
“You can achieve anything you set your mind to.”
3. Rob Guarino was diagnosed with nasal sinus squamous cell carcinoma in August 2017. He has successfully defeated his disease. He is a professional trainer, boxer and black belt.
“Die with memories, not dreams”
4. Cindy Minter was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2014. She has successfully defeated her disease. She is a fitness enthusiast and a Hot Yoga student.
“Give your morning to God and he will give you the day.” –Carmel Murphy
5. Jill Pring was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2016. She has successfully defeated her disease. She is a fitness enthusiast, a marathon runner, and an autism consultant.
“If you must look back, do so forgivingly. If you must look forward, do so prayerfully. However, the wisest thing you can do is be present in the present” –Maya Angelou
6. Heather was diagnosed with bladder cancer March 17, 2018. She has successfully defeated her disease. She is a fitness enthusiast now.
“I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center.” -Kurt Vonnegut
7. Kandice Welch was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2017. She has successfully defeated her disease. Now, she is a fitness enthusiast and motivating others.
“You sometimes have to look back, to see how far your Journey has taken you”
8. Tiffani was diagnosed with leukemia on January 13, 2014. She has successfully defeated her disease. She is a baseball lover.
“Life is a very precious gift. And unfortunately, you don’t truly realize it until you are fighting to stay alive.”
9. Emma had a double mastectomy on 13th February 2018. She was just 22 years old then. She is a Body-combat instructor and a teacher in the making.
“Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows. It’s what sunflowers do.”
10. Josh Perry is an inspiration for other fighters as he achieved his goals despite living with 4 brain tumors presently and is a BMX athlete.
“I love saying ‘Fear is just a thought. Thoughts can be changed.’”
11. Via was diagnosed with Leukemia in October 2014. She has successfully defeated her disease. She is a fitness enthusiast and is living life to the fullest.
You have to be “Courageous through Cancer”
12. Mike Maldonado, was diagnosed with Stage 4 Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in December of 2009. He has successfully defeated his disease. He is now a Certified Personal Fitness Trainer and a Fitness Motivational Speaker.
13. Eduardo Cesareo Montero was diagnosed with bladder cancer on April 30th, 2015. He has successfully defeated his disease. He is a fitness lover.
14. Cam, was diagnosed with cervical cancer in September 2016. She has successfully defeated her disease. She is the founder of CorpYoga and a certified yoga instructor.
15. John was diagnosed with stage 3-colon cancer in 2011. He has now successfully won his fight against cancer and lives a healthy life. He likes fitness-related activities like working out in a gym, running, etc. and encourage other fighters to follow the same path.
“Everyone has a story. Cancer tried to end my life story. I decided to write another chapter.”
16. Adam was diagnosed with colon cancer in May 2017. But he worked against all the odds to get his life back. Now he loves his bicycle and rides it to spread awareness and positivity.
“During my cancer journey, I became an avid cyclist and one day I was watching the Lance Armstrong documentary. The man is very controversial but I respect him for the cancer journey he made. He raised an amazing amount of money for cancer research and really put it out in the public domain for all to see. One quote he said which stuck with me was “The truth is, if you asked me to choose between winning the Tour de France and cancer, I would choose cancer. Odd as it sounds, I would rather have the title of cancer survivor than winner of the Tour, because of what it has done for me as a human being, a man, a husband, a son, and a father.”
17. Sharon was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in October 2014. She has successfully defeated her disease. She is a wellness coach and supports people’s health and fitness Goals.
“ This too shall pass.”
18. Shilpa Aneja was diagnosed with diagnosed with stage 2B breast cancer in November 2016. She has successfully defeated her disease and is now a fitness lover.
“I thought I could and I did.”
19. Adriana was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 3 in January 2018. She has successfully defeated her disease. She is a fitness enthusiast and mother of 4 lovely children.
“Whether you think you can, or you cannot, you are right.” -Henry Ford
20. Titaree Miharu was diagnosed with Breast cancer in, 2015. She successfully defeated her disease and now is a yoga teacher.
“It does, what it does. If you feel not right just walk away.”
21. Catharina was diagnosed with Breast cancer on 28th December 2007. She has successfully defeated her disease. She is a fitness enthusiast and is living life to the fullest.
“Life is too short to waste any amount of time on wondering what other people think about you. In the first place, if they had better things going on in their lives, they wouldn’t have the time to sit around and talk about you. What’s important to me is not others’ opinions of me, but what’s important to me is my opinion of myself.”
Join our support community to share your fitness story :)