fbpx

Investigations

Please   Login / Register   to post or reply on the squad.

Home Forums Colorectal Cancer Investigations

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by GemmaRoss gemmaross 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
    GemmaRoss
    gemmaross
    Participant

I have an appointment to see a gastroenterologist this coming Thursday for bleeding in stools. I’m 38. A few years ago I saw my GP because I noticed blood on the toilet paper after a bowel movement.

JerryBernhart
    jerrybernhart
    Participant

For about a month now I’ve been seeing bright red blood in my stool. Recently started having constant discomfort in my stomach, causing mild pain and gas. I also have a constant feeling of having to go to the bathroom. Can it be cancer? I am just 20.

JohnNelson
      johnnelson
      Participant

@jerrybernhart I hope you are doing well. If you have been seeing bright blood for some time you definitely need to get it checked. You are very young but don’t let that delay an appointment with your doctor. I have a friend who had the same experience and found out he had cancer.

Jordon
    jordon
    Participant

The mass was in the rectum @linda.

@jordon

In what part of the rectum? How are you feeling & where are you at in the treatment process for cancer, meaning has your oncology team staged your cancer yet?

Jordon
        jordon
        Participant

Hello @cancercolostomywarrior, It is in the middle part of rectum. I am not feeling well. Very disturbed, it has taken a toll psychologically. The only thing good is that it has not spread and I can be cured of it. It is locally advanced as told to me by my doctor.

@jordon, mine was in the sigmoid colon, also not the best place. I feel you with the pain and hurt. Try to take it all one moment, one day at a time. And look for cancer therapy which should be free through your oncology office. It helps to be able to process what you’re going through.

Jordon
        jordon
        Participant

Yes @cancercolostomywarrior. I am taking it one day at a time. It is more of an inward journey of self-resilience. More of a mental fight than physical. But I am ready for it.

Jordon
    jordon
    Participant

I noticed fresh blood in my stools few weeks back. It happened a couple of times, and I consulted a doctor. He did a scopy through my rectum and noticed a mass, which on biopsy showed rectal adenocarcinoma. But thank God, further scans did not show spread of the disease anywhere else except a few lymph nodes around the mass.

Linda
      linda
      Participant

Hi Jordon, I’m glad that your scans showed that it hasn’t spread to other parts of your body. Was your mass in the rectum or in your colon?

PeterGartland
    petergartland
    Participant

I underwent surgery for colon cancer 2 years back followed by chemotherapy. For last more than 1 year I am on follow up. My CEA level was fairly normal till now but the last reading has come as elevated to 37. My oncologist has planned some tests to look for tumor recurrence. I am very worried and even the thought of getting the tumor back gives me goosebumps.

Linda
      linda
      Participant

@petergartland I’m sorry to hear that your CEA levels are elevated, but I’m glad that your oncologist is being thorough. Keep in mind that CEA tests are able to detect recurrence earlier than other tests can, and that is a good thing. With earlier detection comes more options for treatment. I know it is very difficult, but try not to worry too much. Right now, let your doctors do the worrying. Let them run the diagnostic tests. Just focus on keeping your appointments. Hopefully it’s a false-positive, but if it isn’t then there is a lot that they can still do. Hang in there.

PeterGartland
        petergartland
        Participant

I am glad to inform you that the scan did not show any disease. So most probably it may be false positive. But my oncologist had advised me to get the repeated test done in a month so that the trend could be seen.
        Thanks a lot to you for your concern. I hope your journey is going good.

Linda
        linda
        Participant

Hi Peter, I’m so glad to hear that you had a favorable scan. What great news! I hope your next tests continue to show good results.

CancerLion
    cancerlion
    Participant

Eating healthy is the best way to go for overall health but I am a vegetarian and was diagnosed with Stage III rectal cancer. Yes, there was a family member but when they did genetic testing I don’t have the genes known for familial passing down. Please get checked out for the chronic constipation, at least make them do a test you take home and send off to be screened if they refuse a full colonoscopy.

DonBluth
    donbluth
    Participant

I have read at many places that dietary factors play a major role in the pathogenesis of colorectal cancer. I am really worried now as I have been on processed and junk food for last many years and too little of fruits or vegetables in my diet. I have chronic constipation now. Should i get myself checked out?

Linda
      linda
      Participant

Are you 45 or older? In the USA, the American Cancer Society now recommends colonoscopies for people at age 45. If you have never had one, and you are 45 or older then it would be a good idea to discuss having one with your doctor.

If you are younger than 45, and having symptoms, then it is also a good idea to have one. I am 43 and just had a right hemicolectomy to remove a cancerous tumor from my colon. Colorectal cancer does happen to people even younger than I am. If you have chronic constipation, please talk it over with your doctor. I had no symptoms other than anemia.

With regard to diet and cancer, there is a lot of information suggesting a relationship. I’m currently reading an excellent book titled “Beating Cancer with Nutrition” – however in this book it does say that it is not meant to replace treatment for cancer, but to enhance it. So be sure to seek the advice of your trusted doctors. But eating healthy and giving your body the nutrition it needs is always a good thing.

Cancer_bro
    cancer_bro
    Keymaster

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.