Just like the adjacent areas, Philadelphia has a high incidence of cancer. It has an incidence of 10.6 per 100, 000 population as per the Cancer Registry Dataset for the year 2016. Unless found at a very advanced stage with widespread metastasis, cancer can be efficiently treated. This obviously requires you to know the best cancer hospitals in your area so that you can seek early treatment from the best experts. So, here we introduce you to the top 10 cancer hospitals in Philadelphia to ease the process.
10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Philadelphia
Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania
- Abramson Cancer Center is a world – class cancer care leader in Philadelphia providing advanced treatment options such as immunotherapy and proton therapy.
- It was founded in the year 1973 and is the top cancer hospital in Philadelphia being designated by the National Cancer Institute as a Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
- The centre provides personalised treatment of cancer to patients keeping in mind their type of cancer, its location and family history as well as individual history of medicine use / allergies.
- This is necessary for the selection of the most – suitable treatment options to the patient that corresponds with minimal side effects.
- The diagnosis of cancer made by the centre is in collaboration with the medical team of the hospital as well as remote second opinions obtained from oncologic experts throughout the US, which assures their accuracy of diagnosis.
- Some of the advanced surgical treatments that are efficiently performed at the hospital include laser surgeries, minimally invasive surgeries, robotic surgeries, reconstructive surgeries, trans oral robotic surgeries, videoscopic surgeries and plastic surgeries for tissue reconstruction after cancer treatments.
- At the Abramson centre, CAR – T cell therapy, which is the only FDA – approved immunotherapy was developed, which has since then be used to successfully treat hundreds of cancer patients.
- The treatment staff at the hospital have a nationally – appreciated experience in the treatment of cancer, yet, they work closely with the family members of the patient to develop treatment protocols.
Address: 3400 Civic Centre Blvd West Pavilion, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
Cancer Treatment Centres of America, Philadelphia
- Cancer Treatment Centres of America, headquartered in Florida, is a network of 5 comprehensive cancer care and research centres offering top – notch treatment services.
- In Philadelphia, the Cancer Treatment Centres of America houses a dedicated team of oncologic experts who work together under a single setting for treating different types of cancer.
- In the year 2020, the hospital received the honour of being listed under the top patient – recommended hospitals in the country (recommended by more than 93 % of the patients). This provides an insight into its patient – centric nature of treatment service.
- These experts are able to share their knowledge and experience, which is used for improving the quality of your care.
- The coordinated care planned through these processes is thereby specific to the needs of the patient and has been decided on the basis of treatment coordination and consensus – based agreements of renowned experts.
- The hospital puts together cutting – edge technologies within these treatments and works on the basis of evidence – based information and clinical trial data.
- Along with medical professionals, the team at Cancer Treatment Centres of America includes support professionals, naturopathic support providers, registered dieticians, massage therapies and mind – body therapists who help in planning your care in a holistic manner focusing on your body and nutrition.
Address: 1331 E Wyoming Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19124, United States
Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals or Jefferson Health
- The Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center is another National Cancer Institute – accredited Comprehensive Cancer Care Centre in Philadelphia that ranks nationally for its personalised care standards.
- The centre has an unmatched expertise in the treatment of brain cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, liver cancer, head and neck cancers, colon cancer, and gynaecologic and haematological cancers.
- It has its independent program called Cancer Care 360 that provides a comprehensive circle of care including research, treatment and support of patients.
- This allows them to develop individualised treatment for all patients keeping in mind their individual needs. Precision medicine for cancer and advanced continuum of care are some of the treatment features offered by the centre.
- Being a not – for – profit organisations, units under Jefferson Health are truly dedicated at the services of the patients.
- Some of the support services offered by the centre include group counselling sessions, one – to – one counselling and cancer support groups.
- Other than this, it provides online support and preliminary screening through online mediums.
Address: 111 S 11th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, United States
Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Fox Chase Cancer Center is undoubtedly one of the best cancer treatment hospitals in Philadelphia that is one of the initial centres to be accredited the Comprehensive Cancer Centre by the NCI back in year 1974 as well as a not – for – profit organisation.
- It has a large staff size of over 2, 000 medical professionals who are dedicated towards both patient care and research so as to emerge as a pioneer in the prevention of cancer.
- Their team researches along the lines of prognostic biomarkers and therapeutic medicine so as to prolong life spans of cancer patients as well as improve their quality of life.
- The centre is said to serve the most – accepted centres of treatment quality while being engaged in preclinical drug development program PREVENT for the prevention of cancer.
- The knowledge of the treating staff at the Fox Chase is phenomenal having received Nobel Prize for their research efforts. They led to the most initial discoveries in liver cancer where hepatitis B was found to be a major cause. Today, this knowledge is used by international medical professionals for preventing liver cancer in high – risk populations.
- The unique and excelling treatment plans designed at the hospital are thoroughly based on these research insights including their knowledge of cancer genetics.
- They make the use of state – of – the – art treatment equipment and devise treatment based on clinical trials and transformation and tumorigenic processes of the patient.
- This helps them to choose different treatments based on the type of tumour, levels of tissue inflammation, impact of solid tumour growth on the body and its effects on immunity.
- Overall, their tailored treatment programs, particularly, immunotherapy regimens have by far assisted in reducing mortality and morbidity among cancer patients in the US.
Address: 333 Cottman Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19111, United States
Helen F Graham Cancer Center, Christiana Care Hospitals
- Helen F Graham Cancer Center provides outpatient cancer treatment services through the involvement of multi – disciplinary team of oncologic experts.
- They support the patient through all steps of their management beginning at diagnosis and continuing after their treatment to survivorship.
- At Helen Graham Centre, one of the most technologically advanced treatment options including the use of Cyber knife and Da Vinci surgical system for robot – assisted surgeries is provided.
- Although the centre excels at the treatment of different types of cancer, its Breast Cancer Outreach and Awareness program is considered to be extraordinary.
- Other programs at the hospital include colon cancer awareness program, programs for prostate cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, cervical cancer and colorectal cancer.
Address: 2401 Philadelphia Pike, Claymont, DE 19703, United States
Lankenau Medical Cancer Center
- Lankenau Medical Cancer Center is a part of Main Line Health networks dedicated at curating personalised treatments for patients.
- The centre engages in several clinical trials for the provision of the most advanced treatment options to the patients such as:
- Cryosurgery for cancer patients
- External Radiation Therapy
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Laparoscopy – assisted Surgeries
- Robotic Radical Cystectomy
- Robotic Reconstructive Surgeries
- Minimally – invasive Surgeries
- Robotic Thymectomy
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Nuclear Medicine
- Photodynamic Treatment for cancer
- These are used for designing treatment protocols for different types of cancer making Lankenau one of the most technologically – advanced cancer treatment hospitals in Philadelphia.
Address: 100 E Lancaster Ave, Wynnewood, PA 19096, United States
Center for Radiation Oncology, Byrn Mawr Hospital
- Bryn Mawr Hospital is primarily a center for Radiation Oncology that is equipped with state – of – the – art technologies.
- It excels in the treatments of lung cancer, head and neck cancers, sarcoma, lymphoma and leukaemia.
- The advanced radiotherapy options available at the centre include:
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy using the VARIAN Edge radio – surgery system
- Localized radiation treatment
- The centre makes the use of DNA sequencing and liquid biopsy procedures for assessing the molecular profiling of the tumour before deciding the course of patient’s treatment.
Address: 801 County Line Rd, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010, United States
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is one of the few cancer treatment centres in Philadelphia solely dedicated to the treatment of paediatric cancer cases in neonates, children and adolescents.
- It has a team of internationally – recognised paediatric oncologists who employ a multi – disciplinary approach.
- This ensures that the patients receive the best – possible care. At the same time, the hospital assures that a particular patient sees only one major physician on most times keeping in mind the sensitive needs of child patients.
- Their treatment model involves the selection of the most suitable treatment in compliance with clinical trial data, which provides an insight into high quality of care standards followed at the hospital.
- Their areas of expertise cover
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia
- Acute Myelogenous Leukaemia
- Brain Tumours in children
- Central Nervous System (CNS) Germ Cell Tumors
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukaemia
- Differentiated Thyroid Cancer in children
- Ewing Sarcoma
- Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia (JMML)
- Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Skin Cancer in Children
- Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Wilms’ Tumor
Address: 3401 Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
GI Cancer Center, Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- A notable part of the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, the GI Cancer Center deserves some extra attention be it at the end of this list.
- The centre is understandably dedicated to the treatment of gastrointestinal cancers making the use of state – of – the – art treatments and the involvement of a multi – disciplinary team.
- Their medical team comprises of medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgical oncologists, gastroenterologists and precision medicine experts who design novel treatment protocols for the patients.
- Some of these novel techniques include a surgical method called irreversible electroporation for the treatment of pancreatic cancers that cannot be surgically operated.
- For smaller tumours, endoscopic mucosal resection, radiofrequency ablation, fine needle biopsy, endoscopic ultrasounds are adopted.
- The aim of all these procedures is to lyse the tumorous tissue without causing any damage to your healthy issue so that no side effects are faced.
- Along with pancreatic cancer, other gastrointestinal cancers like oesophageal cancer, bile duct cancer, gastric cancer, liver cancer and colon cancer are eminently treated at the centre with the help of chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgery, targeted therapy and immunotherapy.
- They also involve support care clinicians and the family members of the patient for adopting a patient – centric approach in the treatment of cancer.
Address: 1331 E Wyoming Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19124, United States
St. Mary’s Medical Center
- Although not a renowned cancer treatment center, St. Mary’s Medical Centre also offers cancer screening, prevention and treatment facilities.
- If you happen to stay around Langhorne, you can probably visit the centre for preliminary approach and care before obtaining second opinions from advanced cancer treatment options listed above.
- Some of the services provided at St. Mary’s include:
- Digital mammography
- Filmless Ultrasonography
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Ultra – fast CT Scans
- They also have a team of oncologists, nutritionists, social workers, pain management specialists and therapists who can help you alongside your treatment.
Address: 1201 Langhorne-Newtown Road, Langhorne, PA 19047, United States