Germany is ranked 15th on the worldwide incidence of cancer. However, according to a research published in the Deutsches Arzteblatt International Journal, more than 40 % of cancer deaths are avoidable in Germans through the modulation of risk factors and early treatment.
Keeping that in mind, we provide you with a detailed account on 10 best cancer hospitals in Germany so that you seek the right cancer care at the correct time. Since it is always said that prevention is better than cure, it is also recommended to pay a visit for regular screening even if you are not diagnosed with cancer but have a family history lest it describes a future risk.
10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Germany
Charité Comprehensive Cancer Center, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin is one of the oldest largest University hospitals in Europe and the Charité Cancer Centre is its cancer division.
- It has been ranked the best cancer hospital in Germany by the news week, Germany and has been certified by Deutsche Krebsgesellschaft.
- The hospital has core cancer units, which are dedicated to high – quality cancer care.
- This enables the provision of standardised care that is throughout the hospital staff so that the patient feels safe and side effects are avoided.
- Charité centre excels in early diagnosis of cancer through the use of advanced technologies as well as the delivery of rehabilitative care, supportive and holistic care of cancer patients.
- Along with medical, surgical and radiologic oncologists, involvement of general practitioners who are in more frequent touch with the patient is made so that the important history or information is not missed.
- In their model of care delivery, CCCC enables the inclusion of psychologists, social workers and cancer self – support groups thereby being considered the best hospital among patients.
- Their compassionate model does not make them shun away from engaging with clinical advancements. The have collaborations with the Max – Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine and the Max – Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics so as to ensure that you get the best evidence – based treatments.
Address: Charitépl. 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
National Center for Tumour Diseases Heidelberg, Heidelberg University Hospital
- National Center for Tumour Diseases Heidelberg is a joint venture between the Heidelberg University Hospital and the German Cancer Aid, to provide novel and promising cancer treatments ranging from screening to follow – up of patients, or their aftercare, as is termed in Germany.
- The centre focuses on the provision of inter disciplinary care and employs oncologic specialists from across the country to work together on different cancer cases.
- Having received a funding of over 3 million Euros, Heidelberg is probably the best for providing comprehensive care based on a deeper understanding of the disease.
- The treatments provided by the centre are approved by an international panel for recommendations and provides innovative care in accordance with the medical guidelines in Germany.
- A third partner of the initiative, German Cancer Research Centre, is indulged in research and development of newer treatment strategies.
- Other than care excellence, the infrastructure at Heidelberg is carefully designed to offer a unique treatment experience to cancer patients.
- One of the strengths of the hospital is that the treatment services provided by it are designed by a team of scientists and doctors, and go well beyond conventional treatments of cancer having a greater chance of complicated cases.
Address: Im Neuenheimer Feld 672, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Comprehensive Cancer Care Center, University of Munich
- The Comprehensive Cancer Care Center in Munich offers effective diagnosis and treatment of all types of cancer including:
- Bowel Cancer
- Uterine Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Stomach Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Head and Neck Tumours
- Endocrine Tumours
- Thyroid Cancer
- Cancer of the Spinal Cord
- Endometrial Cancer
- Vulvar Cancer
- Vaginal Cancer
- Along with having a team of best radiation oncologists, surgical oncologists and medical oncologists in Germany, the hospital also has modern oncology branches such as Internal Medicine and Genetics.
- Their goal is treating the patient as a whole and managing all their complaints in a compassionate manner.
- For this purpose, patient, their family members, social support groups, palliative care providers, nursing professionals, psychologists, nutritional experts and sports counselling experts are brought together for designing personalised cancer treatment plan for each patient.
- It has renowned memberships such as with the American Society of Clinical Oncology and Tumour Centre, Munich, which help it in providing effective, evidence – based cancer treatments.
Address: Marchioninistraße 15, 81377 München, Germany
University Cancer Center, Hamburg
- The University Cancer Center at Hamburg has been ranked among the top cancer hospitals in Germany by the news week.
- The centre is focused at the provision of best possible treatment to the patients through the integration of massive knowledge of medical and oncologic experts with the patient and their supporters in the journey of cancer.
- Since they understand the sensitivity of cancer diagnosis and issues faced by cancer survivors, each step, even the confirmatory diagnosis of the disease, undergoes through several rounds of review and reconsideration among the inter – disciplinary team before the treatment action is planned.
- So, you can be rest assured that you are getting more than just second opinion while being treated at this hospital, and you are getting the advice of multiple expert professionals communicated through your assigned doctor.
- The involvement of multiple experts means that the care provided to you is of utmost quality and has minimal possibility of errors.
- Furthering this, the treatment plan for all patients is personalised. It is not just made on the basis of standards of care, but, is efficiently decided by closely examining the mutations, spread, type and predictability of cancer so as to analyse if the particular treatment will be effective against a particular case.
- Next generation sequencing, molecular tumour boards, blood markers and tumour sensitivity tests are some of the advanced tools used at the hospital.
Address: Martinistraße 52, 20251 Hamburg, Germany
Comprehensive Cancer Center, Lower Saxony, Hannover Medical School
- The Comprehensive Cancer Center, Lower Saxony is collaboration between the Hannover Medical School and Göttingen University Medical Centre to provide inter – disciplinary care to cancer patients.
- This is done to ensure that all the patients receive updated and most technologically – advanced care.
- At the department of Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation in the Hannover Medical School, solid and systemic tumours as well as benign conditions such as coagulation disorders are treated with equal enthusiasm by a large team of doctors, scientists and psychologists.
- The Hannover Centre holds true to its national reputation since it provides effective solutions for adult patients with advanced stages of cancer who are unresponsive to most cases.
- One such case of diffuse large B – cell lymphoma was managed with systemic therapy based on the agreements of the team.
Address: Carl-Neuberg-Straße 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Essen – Mitte Clinics
- For the cases of breast cancer, Essen – Mitte Clinics is probably the best cancer treatment centre in Germany although the expertise of the hospital extends well beyond.
- Essen – Mitte Clinics was founded in as early as 1854, and currently integrates two hospitals, Huyssenstiftung and Knappschaftkrankenhaus, which have four day clinics and 696 beds.
- The hospital has so far treated more than 17, 000 cases and is excelling in integrative oncology and palliative care medicine.
- Other than breast cancer, they have a focus on gastrointestinal oncology, gynaecological cancer, colorectal cancer, urologic oncology, regional therapy and geriatric cancer.
- They run their own palliative care program for managing the specialised needs of the patient through the engagement of nursing and psychological staff members in addition to oncologists. So, it is the best hospital in Germany for elderly patients suffering from cancer, taking care of their emotional and physical needs.
- They employ a minimally – invasive approach and focus on patient – compliant options such as outpatient care to extend their comfort.
Address: Henricistraße 92, 45136 Essen, Germany
Tübingen University Hospital
- Tübingen University Hospital is among the top – rated cancer hospitals in Germany, especially after the introduction of its new cancer treatment system, the MR – Linac.
- The MR Linac is a forerunner of MR imaging, precision radiotherapy and personalised radiation therapies for patients.
- It minimises the disruption of healthy tissue surrounding the tumorous cells because of its accurate aim.
- This MRI system is named Elekta and is committed to prolong lives of cancer patients and extending their survival.
- It helps in improving their treatment experiences making Tübingen the first choice among cases needed radiologic treatment.
- Needless to say, the hospital has the best radiology oncologists’ staff and even more cutting – edge treatments.
Address: Hoppe-Seyler-Straße 3, 72076 Tübingen, Germany
Albert – Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
- The Albert – Ludwigs University offers the provision of cutting – edge technologies in the treatment of oncologic and hematologic cancers.
- It also has a dedicated department for paediatric oncology where cancer is managed in children, infants and adolescents with an evidence – based approach.
- The treatment provided to each patient is selected on the basis of gene sequencing and comprises the best treatment option for that particular case.
- In their recent paper published in American Journal of Clinical Pathology, they explained the relation of mutations in the treatment of gastrointestinal cancers thereby defining their area of expertise.
- The hospital also has a specialised ward for radiation oncology, which is another one of their forte.
- The hospital performs advanced procedures such as the examination of gene foci under fluorescent light to determine its sequencing.
- Through such approaches, they succeed in managing cases of advanced metastasis and relapse.
Address: Fahnenbergplatz, 79085 Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
St. Vincentius Hospital, Karlsruhe, Germany
- Vincentius Hospital offers a range of diagnostic and treatment procedures such as:
- Adjuvant chemotherapy for post – operative care
- Post-operative after-care
- Molecular targeted therapy
- Palliative Care
- Antibody therapy for cancer
- It also offers different treatment protocols such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy before surgery, which is helpful in cases of rectal cancer, bladder cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer.
- Other than these cancers, the hospital excels in bowel cancer, gastric cancer, breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, glioma, blastoma, sarcoma, Hodgkin Lymphoma and lung cancer to name a few.
- Staff members at the hospital make the use of advanced tools for tumour analysis to identify gene mutations, following which, they decide personalised treatments based on biological parameters.
Address: Südendstraße 32, 76137 Karlsruhe, Germany
Comprehensive Cancer Center Erlangen, University Hospital Erlangen
- The Comprehensive Cancer Center Erlangen is a center for excellence, which has been established to facilitate coordination of medical team members.
- It provides inter – disciplinary care through the involvement of medical professionals within the hospital as well as outside, who work at other remarkable research centres in the world.
- The University Hospital employs both senior oncologic experts who have massive years of experience in treating cancer, and junior staff members who are highly skilled in clinical care and research, and will help in novel assessments of your case.
- This skilled team at the Erlangen Hospital has published a recent paper, which outlines a novel screening program for identifying the specialised palliative care needs of the patients.
- This is possible through the use of a German tool, which analyses palliative care needs based on the functional status of the person, comorbidities and disease complications such as poor symptom management, side effects due to cancer treatments and degree of support by family members.
- This tool will transform the understanding of patient care needs and will lead to improved quality of care for all cancer patients.
Address: Maximilianspl. 2, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Note that the Comprehensive Cancer Centers described in the article involve several hospitals – tens to hundreds and covering all would be beyond the scope of this article. So, while the discussion here would be limited to another University / Hospital described alongside, you can feel free to visit the nearest Comprehensive Cancer Centre closest to you because they all provide the same quality of services.