According to the statistics from the World Health Organisation, Europe has approximately one – fourth of the worldwide cases of cancer despite having only one – eighth of the population. It has been estimated that there are 3.7 million new patients each year constituting a high burden of mortality.
While that’s huge, you must also know that Europe is the home to one of the best technologically advanced centres in the world where comprehensive cancer treatment and diagnosis is very much possible.
This article will introduce you to top 10 cancer hospitals in Europe sorted on the basis of distance so that you can select the one that is closest to your area of dwelling without having the need to travel.
10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Europe
Vall D’Hebron Institute of Oncology, Spain
- Vall D’Hebron Institute of Oncology is a leading Comprehensive Cancer Centre is Spain, which has been recognised as one of the most technologically advanced centres in the world.
- It houses a multi – disciplinary team, which works together to develop targeted treatments against cancer for all patients and works on a dynamic model to translate the most recent treatment discovers in their clinical practice to advance the benefits to the patients.
- The hospital has four research teams, which specialise in different areas of preclinical research, clinical research, translational research and core technologies, with the help of which, insights such as cancer genomics, proteomics and molecular oncology are used to design unique treatment protocols.
- Hebron is the cancer treatment centre in Spain providing additional facilities such as recreational centre and a spa, salon for cancer patients so that they can feel well – adjusted within the hospital settings.
- Radiomics, response of the tumour to the treatment, targeted therapies and mechanisms of treatment resistance as well as the study of genes, functional analysis of the tumour and gene expression analysis are some of the techniques used by the hospital for the treatment of different types of cancer including haematological cancer, central nervous system tumours, sarcomas and even cancers of unknown primary site group.
Address: Centro Cellex, Carrer de Natzaret, 115-117, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Spanish National Cancer Research Center, Spain
- Spanish National Cancer Research Center is one of the best cancer treatment centres in Europe having the most technologically – advanced treatments and the most highly – accomplished staff.
- The aim of the centre is to remove cancer from all the districts of Spain by formulating efficient approaches for its diagnosis, treatment and even prevention.
- They engage in cutting – edge clinical trials covering areas of molecular oncology, human cancer genetics and experimental therapeutics to offer the best possible treatments to each patient.
- They are also involved in pharmaceutical discovery, which is used for designing new treatment and drug agents.
- Being listed among the top 10 cancer centres in the world, the quality of treatment offered at the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre is highly advanced benefitting thousands of patients who receive treatment each year.
- Their ongoing research in paediatric tumour treatments also enables them to come forward as one of the best treatment centres in Europe for cancers in children, neonates and adolescents.
Address: Calle de Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Comprehensive Cancer Center, Akh Vienna General Hospital, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
- The Comprehensive Cancer Center of Vienna brings together oncology experts from different parts of Europe to design innovative treatment protocols for each patient.
- The hospital has the largest radiation – oncology unit in Austria, which is used for providing tailored treatment to patients for all types of cancer.
- One of the key features of the hospital is that it manages to treat most patients on an outpatient basis enabling their capacity to have a normal daily functioning.
- At the Vienna hospital, most complex machines are used for aiming ionised radiation at the highest degree of precision and accuracy to reduce the disease – related symptoms of the patient as well as to improve the quality of life of these patients through the minimisation of side effects.
- Some of the advanced options available at the center include teletherapy and brachytherapy for targeting the site of the tumour.
Address: Währinger Gürtel 18-20, 1090 Wien, Austria
Institut Gustave Roussy, France
- Instit Gustave Roussy in France is a European cancer center, which is a premier for patient treatment and research.
- It has been featured as one of the most technologically advanced centres in the world holding a prestigious position of number 20.
- The hospital has a staff of over 3000 members including more than 200 doctors and 300 researchers who work together for designing novel treatment protocols for each patient.
- They have an experience of over 70 years in the treatment of cancer and are able of handling complicated cases like highly metastasised tumours and paediatric cases of cancer.
- The centre makes use of molecular medicine, anti – tumour immunology, DNA repair and translational research to treat rare types of cancers like adenocarcinoma of the salivary glands, myelodysplastic syndromes, chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia, multiple myeloma and Hodgkin and non – Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Other than chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgery, immunotherapy and targeted therapy options, one of the new treatment option specifically designed by the hospital is surgical radiation wherein mini – invasive strategies such as the involvement of urinary tract or digestive tract is used to reach out to deep – seated tumours.
- Radiofrequency, cemetoplasty, gastrotomy and chemoembolization are some other procedures that are performed here.
Address: 114 Rue Edouard Vaillant, 94800 Villejuif, France
The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, United Kingdom
- The Christie NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest and the most unique cancer treatment centres in Europe offering different advanced treatment options for cancer patients at a single centre.
- The hospital has the capability of treating more than 44, 000 thousand patients each year being home to the largest radiotherapy and chemotherapy departments in the world.
- What’s unique with their program is their mobile chemotherapy program for in – home treatment where you can be treated remotely and comfortably within your home.
- Some advanced treatment options available here include nuclear medicine, high – energy proton beam therapy and innovative surgical options for the treatment of complex and rare types of cancers.
- This NHS centre excels in the treatment of these rare cancers and only provides treatment for these whereas common types of cancer such as breast cancer, head and neck cancers, etc. which can be treated places are not taken up by their advanced team.
- So, Christie is essentially a specialty centre for cancers like penile cancer, peritoneal surface cancers, neuro – endocrine tumours, complex melanomas and advanced ovarian, rectal and cervical cancers, and 200 such types of cancer.
Address: Wilmslow Rd, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom
Addenbrooke’s Center, Cambridge University Hospital, United Kingdom
- The Addenbrooke’s Center of Cambridge University Hospital is one of the most innovative cancer treatment centres in Europe providing multi – disciplinary care.
- It is one of the first cancer treatment centres in Europe that has been designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Centre of Excellence by the European Academy of Cancer Sciences as well as one of the two best academic research centres in Europe for improving clinical outcomes of cancer patients.
- This can be attributed to the combination of technologically – advanced equipment used by the hospital and the distinct knowledge of its oncologic staff.
- The services of the hospital are tailored to the individual needs of the patient and are thus regarded to be more compassionate and effective than the services offered at other centres.
- Their aim is to improve the quality of life of cancer patients and substantially reduce their risk of mortality through the introduction of newer treatment alternatives making the use of the latest evidence.
- One such novel treatment practiced at the hospital is brachytherapy treatment wherein a low dose radioactive material is placed inside the body cavity of the patient which gradually releases and lyses tumour cells.
- Other options include the use of monoclonal antibodies, targeted therapies, immunotherapy and hormonal therapies for suppressing tumour growth.
- In addition to conventional treatment options, the hospital also provides outpatient services for cancer patients with a busy schedule and usual activities of daily living.
Address: Hills Rd, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, United Kingdom
Netherlands Cancer Institute, Netherlands
- Netherlands Cancer Institute was founded in the year 1913 and has since then remained at the forefront for the treatment of cancer.
- Having an experience of more than a century, the staff members of Netherlands Cancer Institute are highly skilled in offering modern treatment options for cancer patients based on years of biomedical research.
- The hospital has independent facilities such as flow cytometry units, bio therapeutics unit, bio analytical laboratory, electron microscope centres, biostatistical units, protein, proteomic and genomic units as well as clinical research units where ounces of medical research is continually happening.
- Their laboratories have the capability of analysing millions of individual cancer cells including their size, complexities and response to treatments based on their response to chemical dyes.
- These analytical facilities help treatment staff in selecting individual therapy for each cancer patient keeping in mind their personal preferences and treatment goals.
- Through these efforts, the Netherlands Institute has been able to expand the survival rates of 60 % of its treated patients to more than 10 years, which marks a major achievement in cancer research.
Address: Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, Netherlands
John Hopkins University, Italy
- The John Hopkins University has a long and internationally – recognised record in the treatment of cancer through the use of its innovative research.
- The Italy branch of John Hopkins University is most dedicated to the treatment of cancer of the gastrointestinal tract and colorectal cancer through the involvement of a multi – disciplinary team having an international level of expertise.
- Their team has been successful in treating stage 4 metastatic cancers through the insightful use of their research knowledge and have also developed ways to identify the risk of cancer recurrence in patients.
- They make the use of immunotherapy drugs such as PD-1 inhibitors to accelerate the immune response of the body to fight against cancer.
- They also make the use of genetic screening and genetic testing to facilitate the prevention of cancer in patients with a positive history, the knowledge of which, will successfully help in developing a vaccine against cancer in the future.
Address: Via Beniamino Andreatta, 3, 40126 Bologna BO, Italy
Charité Comprehensive Cancer Center, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Charité Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of the oldest cancer treatment centres in Europe providing high – quality care to cancer patients.
- This is possible through the dedicated involvement of its multi – disciplinary staff for designing individual treatment programs of each patient.
- Along with making the use of advanced treatment technology, these treatment plans are designed keeping in mind the holistic, supportive, rehabilitative, psychosocial, emotional and personal needs of the patient.
- So, a team of psychologists, general practitioners, social workers, family members of the patient, cancer support group and general practitioners are involved for catering to the unique needs of each patient.
- At the same time, medical, radiologic and surgical oncologists collaborate for forming evidence – based treatments for each patient making the use of high – tech options like molecular medicine.
Address: Charitépl. 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Comprehensive Cancer Care Center, University of Munich, Germany
- Another Comprehensive Cancer Care Center in Europe, the centre at Germany excels in the treatment of rare types of cancer such as cancer of the spinal cord, leukaemia and chordoma.
- It has all the modern treatment technologies as well as renowned memberships, which help it in emerging as one of the best cancer hospitals in Europe.
- The centre involves a multi – disciplinary approach through the engagement of a medical research team, a support team involving nutritionists, psychologists and palliative care workers for providing compassionate care to all patients.
- Being one of the few centres in Europe to be recognised by the American Society of Clinical Oncology, you can only estimate the high quality of patient care provided at the centre.
Address: Marchioninistraße 15, 81377 München, Germany