In the last decade, the death toll due to cancer in Illinois was over 24,182 cases per year. Most of these patients died from new invasive types of cancers that were diagnosed at an advanced stage. To prevent similar mortality statistics for this year and the upcoming decades, we are here providing you with a list of 10 best cancer hospitals in Illinois advocating for an early diagnosis and treatment.
Best Cancer Hospitals in Illinois
Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital indubitably tops the list being the best hospital in Illinois and the 10th best hospital in the entire United States. These rankings have been awarded by the US News and World Reports for the year 2019 to 2020.
- The hospital has also been accredited by the National Cancer Institute. It has a competent team of oncologic experts and scientists who closely work together to develop novel treatment options for all patients based on the adoption of a personalised protocol.
- For ensuring a patient – centred treatment of Cancer, the hospital staff members closely work together with the patient and family members meeting their specific needs.
- The hospital is distinguished for treating more than 10, 000 cancer patients each year through the provision of high – quality care.
- Along with usual treatment options for cancer, the Northwestern Hospital provides precision medicine, immunotherapy treatments and customised treatment options for minimising the side effects due to cancer treatments and to facilitate the management of advanced cases.
Address: 675 N St Clair St 21st Fl, Suite 100, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
University of Illinois Health Cancer Center
- The University of Illinois Health Cancer Center is another top – rated cancer hospital, which is recognised as a Comprehensive Cancer Care Center.
- The hospital has a team of oncologists, nurses and therapists who are committed to providing utmost quality of care to the patients while supporting them through each step from diagnosis till discharge.
- Their multi – disciplinary team puts together different types of treatment options for the management of breast cancer, colorectal cancer, head and neck cancers, paediatric cancers, hematologic cancers, gynaecologic cancers, lung cancer and skin cancer to name a few.
- Their aim is avoiding cancer metastasis and reducing cancer side effects, for the purpose of which, combination of skilful procedures like bone marrow transplantation and blood transfusion are used before, during and after their regular treatment.
- Some of the specialised surgical procedures performed at the University Hospital for the treatment of cancer include isolated limb and abdominal perfusion.
- Support and survivorship groups and programs for easing the cancer journeys of the patients are also offered here.
Address: 1740 W Taylor St, Chicago, IL 60612, United States
Kellogg Cancer Center, North Shore University Evanston Hospital
- Kellogg Cancer Center is one of the best cancer treatment centres in Chicago, which has been recognised as a Distinction Centre for the Treatment of Complex and Rare Cancers.
- The hospital prepares person – centred plan for each patient through themselves and their family members in the process of treatment planning.
- These person – centred plans are devised in consultation with a multi – disciplinary team who engages with the use of modern treatment techniques such as personalised medicine.
- This treatment approach decides a tailored treatment for the patient in consideration with the type of cancer and its genetic involvement, the level of DNA damage as well as the genomic and panomic profile of the patient.
- Analysing the tumour structure and understanding the best treatment approaches for the patient helps their oncologic team to select the best combination of treatment agents that do not cause any side effects.
- Other than radiotherapy, chemotherapy and surgical management of cancer through personalised approaches, immunotherapy protocols are also followed by the hospital increasing your body’s immune mechanisms in fighting against cancer.
- Some of the rare types of cancers and tumours treated at the hospital include sarcoma, gestational trophoblastic neoplasia, glottis, supraglottic and subglottic cancers, which are managed with the help of treatments insights obtained through trial data.
- For personalised treatments, the hospital also uses pharmacogenomics and DNA sequencing techniques for developing novel treatment agents.
Address: 2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60201, United States
Alton Memorial Hospital Cancer Center
- Alton Memorial Hospital Cancer Center offers access to the best cancer care for patients in Illinois.
- Its associations with the BJC HealthCare, Missouri, have strengthened its network of radiologic and oncologic experts and expanded its treatment potential.
- Being a not – for – profit organisation, BJC dedicatedly provides world – class treatment options in a welcoming environment through the engagement of a multi – disciplinary team.
- One of the high – tech treatment procedures offered at the Alton is intensity – modulated radiation therapy, which involves the administration of high – dose radiation therapy precisely to the cancerous cells to minimise the side effects for surrounding tissues.
- Other technologies include stereotactic radiation therapy and state – of – the – art true Varian True Beam Linear Accelerator for treating different types of cancer.
- Further, the hospital provides extensive patient support services and engages in a monthly screening / diagnostic test for cancer as well as pain management, wound care and palliative care services for patients with advanced forms of the disease.
- Making efficient use of technology, it also provides online patient education, symptom / risk detection for cancer and nutritional advice on cancer prevention.
Address: 1 Memorial Dr, Alton, IL 62002, United States
Rush University Cancer Center
- Rush University Medical Center provides comprehensive care for all cancer patients and has been rated as one of the top cancer treatment hospital by the US News and World Report for the year 2019 – 20.
- The medical centre has a team of highly – experienced medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and surgical oncologists who together to compile the best treatment options for the patient.
- These include the use of low dose chemotherapy / radiotherapy or may combine advanced options such as immunotherapy or targeted therapy.
- Some other highly competent procedures performed here include bone marrow transplantation for cancer patients, cellular therapy and minimally – invasive surgical procedures.
- The hospital is advancing to include more emerging branches such as cardio – oncology, genitourinary and thyroid cancer units, which are dedicated to the treatment of cancer patients with cardiovascular disorders, cancer patients with gynaecological conditions and thyroid disorders respectively.
- Other than this, there is also a breast reconstruction unit for breast cancer patients and a prevention clinic for enhancing the prevention of cancer in the community.
- Like the Kellogg Hospital, personalised treatment of cancer is also an aim for Rush Cancer Centre, which is provided through the active engagement of patients and family members.
- This treatment protocol is decided through the collaboration of nutritionists, oncologic nurses, care coordinators and therapists to achieve comprehensive model of care for the patient forming a supportive and comfortable environment for them.
- This support environment is extended through their emotional and psychosocial management in addition to the treatment of their disease.
- This ensures the continuous survival of patients and encourages them to win their fights against cancer.
- Some of the rare forms of cancer treated at the hospital spine tumours, myelodysplastic syndromes and myeloproliferative neoplasms.
Address: 1725 W Harrison St #1010, Chicago, IL 60612, United States
Cancer Treatment Center of America
- The Cancer Treatment Center of America in Illinois is true to its brand of comprehensive cancer treatment hospitals in America and provides best quality services to its patients.
- The centre has been awarded a five – star quality rating by the Centres for Medicare and Medicaid Services for the year 2019 – 20 as well as it received the honour from the Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award.
- Not just prestigious organisations, the efforts of Cancer Treatment Centre of Illinois have been appreciated by patients and 93 % of them have given positive recommendations for the hospital.
- What’s distinctive about its treatment services is that it provides integrative care that is tailored to the needs of each patient and is delivered by a team of experienced doctors and oncologic nurses.
- Being located at multiple locations in Illinois, the hospital provides convenient options for all patients for outpatient and inpatient treatment through the use of advanced treatment / surgical procedures such as the CyberKnife.
- The highly – accomplished oncologists at the centre have an expertise in dealing with rare and complex types of cancer such as adrenal cancer, appendix cancer, anal cancer, and gestational trophoblastic disease. They are renowned throughout the United States for their prominent techniques like precision medicine and genomic analysis.
- Other than physical care of the patient, rehabilitation services, support programs, pain management and spiritual care are some of the services offered to the patients.
Address: You can select the centre that is closest to you from the following areas:
- 2520 Elisha Ave, Zion, IL 60099, United States
- 2610 Sheridan Rd, Zion, IL 60099, United States
- 160 E Illinois St, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
UChicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center
- UChicago is one of the NCI – accredited Comprehensive Cancer Care Center in Illinois providing top – notch treatment services to cancer patients.
- The centre has a team of more than 200 oncologic experts who collaborate to deliver the best quality of care to each patient.
- They make the use of innovative techniques, leading – edge research and treatment strategies compiled from clinical trials of patients to devise novel treatment options that help in attacking cancerous cells from multiple target locations.
- They lead about 300 clinical trials each year where new insights into the treatment and diagnosis of cancer are obtained. You can easily enrol with these open – ended trials for gaining access to modern treatments.
- The centre is dedicated at the overall wellness of cancer patients aiming to improve their quality of life.
- What makes the centre stand out from other hospitals in Illinois is its dedicated paediatric cancer treatment units, which provide specialised care for children, adolescents and neonates suffering from cancer.
Address: 5841 S Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, United States
Advocate Cancer Center
- Advocate Cancer Center is another cancer treatment hospital in Illinois that is completely dedicated to the treatment of pediatric cancer.
- They have a team of highly – experienced oncologic experts who collaborate to form a multi – disciplinary team to ensure the excellence of care provided to the patients.
- They make the use of following technologies before devising the treatment plan for each patient:
- Brain Mapping
- Optical Tracking
- PET Scan
- 3 – D Imaging of the tumour
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Intra – Operative Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Care at this centre is provided with utmost compassion and empathy through the involvement of parents and family members of young patients.
Address: Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center 836 W. Wellington Ave Chicago, IL 60657
Edward Cancer Center
- Edward Cancer Center in Naperville is dedicated to the provision of oncology and plastic surgery services for cancer patients for their treatment and rehabilitation.
- It has a compassionate team of cancer treatment experts who work alongside the patient to cater for their physical and emotional well – being.
- Not just compassion, the Edward Centre is also way ahead in advanced treatment techniques offering treatment options such as genetic counselling services, NanoKnife® and Da Vinci® surgical systems under single settings.
- They make the use of genomics, robotics and precision medicine in the treatment of cancer to aid in maximum patient recovery.
Address: 120 Spalding Drive Suite 111 Naperville, IL60540
John Stroger Hospital
- John Stroger Hospital is a public hospital in Chicago providing treatment to patients through the use of efficient technologies such as genetic testing, biomarker analysis and genomic analysis.
- These technologies help in deciding the best – suited treatment protocols for each patient, be it, chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
- The hospital also offers immunotherapy features for cancer patients to boost their immune system and enhance their battle against cancer.
- Other than this, the hospital provides psychosocial support services and patient navigation programs for guiding them through the cancer health care system.
Address: 1969 Ogden Ave, Chicago, IL 60612, United States