The incidence of cancer is high among all age groups in Chicago with significantly high rates of mortality. Reports from the Illinois Department of Public Health ascertained that the incidence of cancer in Chicago is greater than that in the rest of the US. While Chicago is at its peak of cancer prevalence, it is also the home to one of the best cancer hospitals in the United States.
This article will introduce you to the top 10 cancer hospitals in Chicago describing their key features. We hope this knowledge will help you in identifying the best hospital for your treatment based on your individual needs.
You might want to gain more information on cancer and its treatment, information on various side effects of cancer and it’s treatment and survivor stories of hope and motivation.
Don’t forget to have a look at our website resources that may be helpful for you.
- Information about various types of cancers
- Cancer Drugs
- Lifestyle Changes
- Side Effects of cancer and it’s treatment
- Survivor Stories of hope and motivation
Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Not just in Chicago, Northwestern Memorial Hospital has been ranked among the top cancer hospital in the United States.
- Situated in Illinois, the hospital was rated highest for 11 of its speciality units receiving a rank among the top 10 for the year 2019 – 2020.
- Having a team of efficient physicians, surgeons, oncology experts, scientists and nurses, the hospital employs an inter – disciplinary approach to care.
- Innovative cancer treatment is one of the top priorities at the Northwest.
- This is fostered by their efficient research team who works together to strive a balance between innovation and treatment.
- Cancer diagnosis, surgery, radiotherapy treatment and chemotherapy unit are the main areas of inpatient care at the hospital. At these units, high – quality patient care is provided through a range of specialized procedures.
- Northwestern Memorial is one of the 51 National Cancer Institute (NCI) – designated cancer centers in the country.
- Comprehensive care is provided to patients at the hospital while assisting recovery during cancer journey.
- Treating more than 10, 000 new cases each year, the hospital aims to place the patient first thereby providing patient – centred cancer care.
- This includes providing support to the patient and family members.
- Being one of the elite cancer hospitals in Chicago, Northwest Memorial is always devising new strategies for providing exceptional care.
- Cancer immunotherapy treatment, precision medicine and customized radiotherapy are some of the features of the Northwest hospital.
Kellogg Cancer Center at North Shore University Evanston Hospital
- Kellogg Cancer Center is the first cancer center built by a community hospital in the United States.
- Kellogg is a national center for patient – centred cancer treatment in America provided by a multi – disciplinary team.
- Being one of the top hospitals in the nation, futuristic approaches such as personalized medicine are adopted.
- Individualized cancer treatment plans keeping in mind individual needs and cancer characteristics are prepared at Kellogg.
- Specialises in sophisticated and advanced treatment options like genomic analysis and tumor analysis before planning treatment.
- The customized treatment approach as the hospital is adopted by combining patient’s needs with their family history and genetics.
- Physical, social, familial and emotional needs of the patients are fulfilled through specialized programs such as Psycho-social program and Living in the Future cancer survivorship.
- The hospital has been recognized by the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois as a Distinction center for complex and rare cancers due to its expertize in delivering speciality care.
- Quality patient care at Kellogg is combined with novel treatment approaches such as immunotherapy and precision medicine to meet overall patient needs.
Address: 2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60201, United States
Rush University Cancer Center
- Another top rated hospital, Rush University Medical Center is focused at compassionate care for cancer patients.
- The hospital has been rated the best in 5 of its cancer specialities by the US News and World Report channels.
- It provides advanced care options along with efficient support and dedicated care.
- The hospital has a team of nationally – renowned cancer experts who specialize in personalized care. This is delivered in the form of personalized care plans that meet all aspects of care including diagnosis, treatment, support, monitoring and emotional management.
- Being one of the leading cancer centers in the United States, Rush University has most of the advanced care options.
- This includes targeted therapy, immunotherapy and minimally invasive surgeries to minimise cancer side effects.
- The care team at Rush includes oncologists, surgical oncologists, oncologists, nurse coordinators and other health care professionals who work together as a team.
- Cancer survivorship after treatment at Rush is not just continued existence but is a journey of thriving after the treatment.
- Motivation of patients to fight the battle and reminding them of endless possibilities is one of the key strategies adopted by Rush for improving survivorship.
- Novel approaches are delivered at the hospital through patient’s indulgence within different clinical trials.
- Bone marrow transplant, Cellular therapy, internal medicine, interventional radiology, cardio – oncology services, thyroid cancer treatment, genitourinary cancer, spine tumour services, Myelodysplastic Syndromes and Myeloproliferative Neoplasms Services and Leukemia support are some of the best amenities offered at the Rush Cancer Centre.
- It also provides additional treatment services such as Breast Reconstruction Surgery and Prevention Care.
Address: 1725 W Harrison St #1010, Chicago, IL 60612, United States
Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Lurie Cancer Center works in collaboration with the Northwestern Memorial hospital to provide comprehensive cancer care services.
- It is certified by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative, an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. This award is in appreciation of the highest standards of quality in cancer care provided by the hospital.
- It has supportive and emotional management programs for achieving patient treatment and recovery.
- The hospital is focused at early prevention and treatment of cancer through advanced treatment options such as gamma knife radiosurgery.
- Other than pioneering in conventional treatment options, the center excels in individual programs such as Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Program. This program has aided in performing over 350 transplants each year in cancer patients helping in exceeding national cancer survival rate in Chicago.
- Being a leader in the number at type of transplants, Lurie is committed at reducing the burden of cancer in Chicago.
- Concerning innovative care, the center is the only one in Chicago for providing proton therapy in Chicago.
- Another aim of the hospital is to deliver equitable compassionate care to cancer patients in Chicago.
- Expanding cancer networks and increasing patient awareness, education and cancer screening programs in Chicago are some ways they achieve this aim.
- They are experts in different types of cancer including acute myeloid leukemia, head and neck cancers, osteosarcoma, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, oral cancer, colorectal cancer, lung cancer, cancer of the thyroid, uterine cancer, Hodgkin and non – Hodgkin lymphomas, multiple myeloma, cervical and skin cancers to name a few.
- They also specialize in rare types of cancer such as male breast cancer, intraocular melanoma and appendix cancer.
- Being a children’s hospital, they have dedicated pediatric cancer units serving different needs of young patients.
Address: 675 N St Clair St 21st Fl, Suite 100, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
AMITA Health Cancer Institute
- AMITA Health has a comprehensive team of cancer experts who specialize in treating different types of cancer.
- The nationally – accredited team at the institute aims to provide patient support at every level of cancer treatment.
- This includes cancer diagnosis and screening, coping with cancer diagnosis, emotional management and support, nutritional support and spiritual well – being along with advanced treatment options.
- This is delivered through expert neurosurgeons and radiologists, medical oncologists, expert surgeons as well as nurses, dieticians, social workers and physical therapists who are trained for cancer.
- Offering latest treatment options, AMITA centre is located at different locations throughout Chicago, so, you can easily choose the center closest to your convenience.
- The latest technologies adopted by the hospital encompass 64-slice computed tomography and their own Illinois Gamma Knife Center.
- Being a renowned cancer treatment centre in Chicago, the institute also has partnerships with reputed national organisations such as the National Colorectal Cancer Roundtable.
- They have different programs for different types of cancer where you will be continually supported by a team from the beginning to the last.
- Some of the renowned programs include breast cancer program, liver cancer program, colon cancer program, gastrointestinal cancer program, integrative oncology program and radiation oncology program among many others.
- Bladder cancer, brain cancer, melanoma of the eye, skin cancer and spinal cancer are some of the specialities of the hospital.
Address: 2216 W Thomas St, Chicago, IL 60622, United States
Swedish Cancer Center
- The Swedish Cancer Center is located at the Swedish Hospital in Chicago.
- It provides integrated cancer treatment and therapy through collaborative approach.
- The inter – disciplinary team at the centre includes board-certified oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, surgeons, psychologists, pharmacists and nurses.
- These team members work in close partnership with social workers, chaplains and integrative health practitioners including integrative and functional medicine physician, an acupuncturist, massage therapists and personal trainers.
- This approach helps them in providing the best cancer care in Chicago answering all types of patient queries.
- Along with treating different types of cancer, the hospital is also involves in patient education and support.
- It also provides hormonal therapy and robotic surgery options making it one of the best patient – satisfaction rated cancer centers in Chicago.
Address: 5140 N California Ave # G115, Chicago, IL 60625, United States
University of Illinois, Clinical Cancer Center
- University of Illinois houses the best team of radiologists, medical and surgical oncologists, surgeons, nurses, and therapists who provide dedicated treatments.
- It offers different programs for varied types of cancer including breast cancer, gynecologic cancer, lung cancer and stomach cancer to name a few.
- The hospital has a dedicated ward for pediatric oncology and surgical oncology providing excellent services.
- It also provides medical oncology and radiation oncology options depending on the needs of the patient.
Address: 1801 W Taylor St #1E, Chicago, IL 60612, United States
Advocate Cancer Center
- Advocate Cancer Center is specialised for the treatment of pediatric cancers.
- It employs a multi – disciplinary team and nationally – accredited speciality staff members who provide compassionate care for children.
- Excelling in the treatment of different types of cancer, the center utilizes a family – centred treatment approach for young patients.
- Brain Mapping, Optical Tracking System, Neuroendoscopy, PET Scan, 3-D Imaging, Tomotherapy, Intensity-modulated radiation therapy, Stereotactic radiosurgery and Intra-Operative Magnetic Resonance Imaging are some of the advanced options available at the centre.
Address: Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center 836 W. Wellington Ave Chicago, IL 60657
Mercy Medical Center
- Mercy Medical Center in Chicago specializes in medical oncology, radiation oncology and surgical oncology divisions.
- Treatment services at Mercy are provided through a team of oncology experts.
- Along with treatment options, cancer rehabilitation programs such as management of pain, fatigue, weakness, balance and overall functional capacity are offered to patients.
- Patient counselling and support along with breast cancer care and lung cancer program are some other initiatives by the hospital.
- Being a specialist in breast cancer cases, Mercy Medical Center received a women’s choice award for the America’s best breast centers making it highly sought – after for treatment.
Address: 2525 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60616
- Palos Hospital offers different outpatient and inpatient treatment options for cancer patients in Chicago.
- The oncology unit at Palos operates to provide short – term stay for patients with intravenous treatment needs and long – term stay for patients requiring treatment at each step.
- This includes support through different stages of cancer from cancer diagnosis to its treatment.
- The diagnostic approaches adopted by the hospital include general radiology, nuclear medicine, computed tomography, MRI, interventional procedures, ultrasound and 3D Mammography.
- Treatment approaches include surgical and chemotherapy or radiotherapy options.
- One – on – one counselling programs for cancer patients and cancer rehabilitation services are some of the additional services provided by the hospital for improving quality of life of patients.
- Social services, nutrition counsellor, trained nurses, pathologists and home care experts are a part of the extended team at Palos.
Address: 12251 S 80th Ave, Palos Heights, IL 60463, United States